Cyclovia Tucson 2011 will host a plethora of fun activities along the route. Whether you stop at one or all, you’re sure to have a good time. On the north end we will have the Food Conspiracy Co-op’s annual Solar Rock and on the south end, the YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day. And a whole lot of entertainment, music, food, and fun in the streets in between!
YMCA Healthy KIDS Day (8th Ave. & 38th St.)
Put play in your day! Enjoy fun and relaxing family time by visiting the Arizona Children’s Association all day for YMCA Healthy Kids® Day. The nation’s largest health day for children and families, YMCA Healthy Kids Day offers families a chance to play together and learn more about life-long wellness and healthier living. YMCA Healthy Kids Day is free and open to all. For more information about the event, visit
Activities will include:
- Jumping Castle
- Obstacle Course
- Health and Wellness give-a-ways
- Climbing Wall
- Free ID with photo and fingerprinting
- And MUCH, MUCH, More!
Scheduled activities at Arizona Children’s Association:
- 10:00 to 10:30 Kids’ Yoga
- 10:30 to 11:00 Zumba
- 11:00 to 12:00 Ballet Folklorico
- 12:00 to 1:00 Mariachis
- 1:00 to 1:30 Zumbatomic for Kids!
Solar Rock (Armory Park – 6th Ave. & 12-13th St.)
The Food Conspiracy Co-op’s annual musical event, Solar Rock, will be stationed at Armory Park, outside of the community center.
Solar Rock is a 100% solar-powered concert and fair open to the public. Now in its fourth year, Solar Rock will feature live music from bands like Michael P., The Way Back Machine, Spirit Familia and The Opposables, and the winner of the Arizona Daily Star’s 2011 Battle of the Bands competition. There will also be speakers, games, kids’ activities, food, and
exhibits from local businesses, schools, and community organizations.
Solar Rock 2011 will feature an assortment of activities and organizations including
- A freecycle.org “free-meet” where people can exchange unwanted household items
- The Physics Factory, a modified school bus for hands on science experimentation
- Paint your own canvas bag art station
The event will be powered by an on-site trailer outfitted with solar panels, inverters, and battery packs that will act as a teaching tool for individuals to see how solar electricity is generated. GeoInnovation, the company that is donating the trailer, will be on-hand to talk with the public. You can find more information and updates at www.solarrocktucson.com
Synergistic Water Festival (Armory Park – inside & outside space)
Celebrate water in the desert through expressive arts and community dialogue at Tucson’s Synergistic Water Festival presented by Tucson Arts Brigade. For more information, visit www.WaterFestivalTucson.org.
Tucson’s Synergistic Water Festival
10am-4pm @ Armory Park Center, 220 S. 5th Ave.
Art Show • Exhibitors • Workshops • Performances • Music • Kids Activities
10:30am: Water Safety Demo
11am: 5 Horses 4 Winds
Noon: Panel on Art, Sustainability, and Commerce
1pm: Chillie Willie Groove
2pm: Bike Beautiful Fashion Show
2:30: Performance Finale on the Solar Rock Stage
3pm: Danza Mexica Cuauhtemoc
6th Ave. & 13th St. (between Armory Park & Tucson Children’s Museum)
- REI Tucson
- Sparkletts Water – sign up for this great water in your home!
- Recon Environmental
- Ordinary Bike Shop (Cyclovia “bike aid” station – north end)
- Ready, Set, Go!!! How to maintain your child’s bike for worry-free bicycling.
Kurt Rosenquist (of O2 Modern Fitness & Fitworks Cycling) will run through the basics of maintaining your child’s bike from keeping the chain lubed to pumping up the tires so that when your child jumps on their bike you can feel comfortable that they will be protected from mechanical problems.Offered at 11:00 and 1:00. The course will take about 30 minutes.
- Meet Me at Maynards
- 2nd Saturdays Downtown
- Tucson Children’s Museum – FREE outdoor activities for kids! Garden games, paper sun visor decoration, and stamp art. (regular admission prices apply for entrance inside the building)
- Tolson Elementary School with popcorn, baked goods and other fun – raisers!
- Velocis Bikes demos of locally designed, manufactured and serviceable electric bikes
- Tucson Japanese Moms Group – volunteer group with info on Japan Relief Efforts
Cushing St. & Meyer Ave.
Live music by The String Bean Folk Orchestra
Santa Rosa Park (Meyer Ave. & 21st St.)
Bicycle Activities at Santa Rosa Park
- TriSports.com will be handing out custom Cyclovia water bottles (while supplies last!)
- All ages BIKE DECORATING with fur, flowers, and more! (while supplies last!)
- Kid’s Bicycle Helmet Giveaway made possible by The Brad Gorman Fund
- Free bike check-ups, tubes and other supplies for purchase or on an emergency as-needed basis (presented by BICAS)
- El Grupo Bicycle Obstacle Course for Kids 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Mayor’s Ride led by South Tucson Mayor Jennifer Eckstrom 11 am
- Tucson Bike Beautiful Meet-up and Ride 12 p.m.
- Bicycle Safety Education presented by The Tucson-Pima County Bicycle Advisory Committee (TPCBAC)
- Bicycle Wheel of Safety to test your bike safety knowledge
- Perimeter Bicycling Association of America
- Peddler on the Path Mobile Café
- Bike-A-Stra 10:00am,Bike-A-Stra will be performing cycle-delic soundscapes with repurposed bike instruments. The public is invited to stop by and try the original instruments themselves or learn the basics about how best to amplify their own bikes.
- TucsonVelo Photobooth
Ochoa Elementary School (8th Ave. & 25th St.)
- Tasting Booth of local produce
- Garden and compost tour
- Arts and Crafts tables
- Recycled Bike Art Projects by BICAS
- Aztec dance performance
- Tucson Green Art & Farmers’ Market
- Roadrunner Bicycles (bike aid)
- Communities Putting Prevention to Work
The Community Food Bank will have a “Tasting Booth” set up at the NE corner of 8th Avenue and 26th Street where folks can learn about the differences between local produce and commercial produce (nutrition, quality, miles traveled, etc) and get to taste test each to guess which one is which. There will also be tours of Ochoa’s garden and compost- a few parents, kids, and volunteers from Ochoa will be standing by at that corner to bring folks to the garden area, just east of the booth on the school grounds. Last, but not least, Ochoa will be hosting a food-related creative activity area for making pendants and hanging sculptures out of native food items. The table will be led by Ochoa art teacher Pauline Baker.
Mission View Elementary (8th Ave. & 37th St.)
Music, dancing, and Zumba classes are just some of the activities at Mission View Elementary School. On stage, the schedule is as follows:
- 10:00am – 11:30am: Mission View Student performances
- 11:30 am to 12:00 pm: Zumbatonics with Patty (for kids!)
- 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm: Zumba for Adults by Deitrich, Ernie & Conchita
- 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Ballet Folklórico Tapatío Performance
- 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm: Grupo Coatlicue Danza Azteca
Other groups and activities found in that area:
- KVOI/KGMS Radio Live!
- Communities Putting Prevention to Work
- Hot Dogs with Heart Food Cart
- Hawaiian Shave Ice
- Ice cream for sale
Live Music Stage – Mariachi & Blues (4th Ave & 30th St)
11am – 12:30pm Rayos del Sol “Mariachi”
1pm -2:30pm Cotter and the Cranks “Blues”
Crossfit Works in the Street (4th Ave & 23rd St)
CrossFit Works will have old-school strength and conditioning activities to try out. Sledgehammers, tractor tires and kettlebells will all be available. Our knowledgeable and fun training staff will be on hand to provide challenges and guidance. We will also have challenges and games especially designed for kids of any fitness level. The crew from CrossFit Works will provide you with a chance to experience truly functional fitness that never gets boring! www.crossfitworks.com.
Santa Rita Park (4th Ave. & 21st St.)
- Starr Skates “Pop Up Skate Park” will be open to skateboarders of all ages and skill levels. Stop by to ride our latest skateboard ramps and even get some lessons from our very experienced team riders. There will also be a Starr Skates team demo where you can see some of Tucson’s finest skateboarding take place. Hope to see you there to join in or just watch the show.
- Yoga at the Park 11:00am led by Kripalu-trained Jo Edmondson! An hour long moderate yoga practice for all levels will be offered as part of Cyclovia! Nourish your body and mind and enjoy spending time with your community.
- Funland Jumps: 5 in 1 JUMPING CASTLE
- There and Back Bikes – (Cyclovia “bike aid” station – east end)
- Sonoran Hot Dog Carreta!
- Acro Yoga Demonstration and Workshop 12:00pm. Come watch an amazing and inspiring group of yogis combine yoga poses with acrobatics.
- Isabella’s Ice Cream – a restored 1927 Ford Model T, converted to 100% electric with solar panels on the roof that operate the Freezer, making our ice cream frozen by the Sun!
- Lemonade for sale by Chester Foods Mark
Safford K-8 Magnet School (4th Ave. & 14th St.)
- Safford Jazz Band – 10:30 am
- Safford Advanced Orchestra at 11:00 am
- Safford Information Booth
- Safford Student Council